Mimi Garrard Dance Theatre
Play Ultra Beat
Dancer: Yusha-Marie Sorzano
Choreography: Mimi Garrard with Yusha-Marie Sorzano
Camera and Editing: Mimi Garrard
See Videodances to play other full-length videodances.
More videodances may be viewed at vimeo.com/mimigarrard.
The Mimi Garrard Dance Company has intrigued and delighted audiences across the country and abroad, and has, as the Los Angeles Times put it, opened eyes, stretched ears, caused laughter, and provoked thoughts. The company has toured extensively since 1973. It has performed at the Jacobs Pillow Dance Festival, been commissioned for CBS Camera Three and WGBH Boston television productions, as well as presented annual concerts in New York and residency programs for colleges and community centers throughout the United States. On three occasions it has performed as part of an international dance festival, Danza Nueva, in Lima, Peru. The companys repertory of over 90 works choreographed by Mimi Garrard is one of the largest in the modern dance field.
The works have evolved and changed over the years, but they reflect Garrards interest in pure movement, theater, and multi-edia. |
Most recently Mimi Garrard is experimenting in new ways, creating dance for video using digital techniques to transform the dance material. Her work in this area is unique and is gaining increasing attention. She has a monthly program on Manhattan Neighborhood Network, and has recently been sponsored by Channel 13 on its Metro Arts Channel. WAMtv (World, Art, and Music), based in Scotland, is currently featuring her videos worldwide.
In addition to the United States, her video work has been shown in numerous festivals in Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. Recently, Velez October Circles was shown on the BBC Big Screen throughout England five times a day for two weeks. Time Installation was placed in the permanent collection of the Mississipi Museum of Art. Doctrine of Signatures and Dream State were shown at the Walter Reade Theater at Lincoln Center in a program honoring Alwin Nikolais. She has had two one-woman presentations in São Carlos, Brazil. She received a lifetime achievement award from the Mississippi Institute of Arts and Letters for her outstanding achievement in dance, both for her work on stage and her work for video. She has created 121 programs for Manhattan Neighborhood Network.
- Wu Wei March 2830, 2012, Agite and Sirva 2012, Puebla, Pue.Mexico
- Face Watch Change May 2012 , Public Library of Le Creusot, Le Creusot, France
- Minatures May 28May 31, 2012 tour of Mexican cities plus Morelia, Michoacan, Mexico
- Green and Blue August 31September 1, 2012, Sans Souci Festival Boulder, Colorado
- Wu Wei September 30October 6, 2012, Patras International Film Festival, Patras City, Greece
- Green and Blue, Yellow, Black October 1921, 2012, VI Sao Carlos Videodance Festival, São Carlos, Brazil
- Phosphones October 29, 2012, Livewire Festival, University of Maryland Baltimore County, Maryland
Mimi Garrards videodances are featured on Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN) Channels 56, 34, and 83 on cable in Manhattan only on Sundays at 5 p.m. They are also simultaneously Webcast with streaming video at www.mnn.org.
DVDs of all 121 programs can be purchased for $39 for each program (includes shipping and handling). For more information, please contact the Mimi Garrard Dance Company.
Dates of Showings|
September 30, 2012
October 14, 2012
October 28, 2012
November 11, 2012
November 25, 2012
December 9, 2012
- Bearnstow Journal bearnstowjournal.org
Articles on the Nikolais esthetic and the arts, edited by Ruth E. Grauert
- Patras International Festival of Cinema & Culture Greece www.independent.gr/identity
13th International Panorama of Independent Film and Video Makers
- The David Bermant Foudation: Color Light Motion
- The Harkness Foundation for Dance
- The Baumol Family Foundation
- Individual contributors
THE MIMI GARRARD DANCE COMPANY, INC.
TWO PENN PLAZA, SUITE 1500, NEW YORK, NY 10121
PHONE 212 674-6868 FAX 845-386-4883